PUTATIVE FATHER REGISTRIES
Missouri Revised Statutes
Department of Health
August 28, 1997
Putative father registry.
192.016. 1. The department of health shall establish a putative father registry which shall record the names and addresses of:
(1) Any person adjudicated by a court of this state to be the father of a child born out of wedlock;
(2) Any person who has filed with the registry before or after the birth of a child out of wedlock, a notice of intent to claim paternity of the child;
(3) Any person adjudicated by a court of another state or territory of the United States to be the father of an out-of-wedlock child, where a certified copy of the court order has been filed with the registry by such person or any other person.
2. A person filing a notice of intent to claim paternity of a child or an acknowledgment of paternity shall file the acknowledgment affidavit form developed by the state registrar which shall include the minimum requirements prescribed by the secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services pursuant to 42 U.S.C. section 652(2)(7).
3. A person filing a notice of intent to claim paternity of a child shall notify the registry of any change of address.
4. A person who has filed a notice of intent to claim paternity may at any time revoke a notice of intent to claim paternity previously filed therewith and, upon receipt of such notification by the registry, the revoked notice of intent to claim paternity shall be deemed a nullity nunc pro tunc.
5. An unrevoked notice of intent to claim paternity of a child may be introduced in evidence by any party, other than the person who filed such notice, in any proceeding in which such fact may be relevant.
6. The department shall, upon request, provide the names and addresses of persons listed with the registry to any court or authorized agency, or entity or person named in section 453.014, RSMo, and such information shall not be divulged to any other person, except upon order of a court for good cause shown.
7. The department of health shall:
(1) Prepare forms for registration of paternity and an application for search of the putative father registry;
(2) Produce and distribute a pamphlet or publication informing the public about the putative father registry, including the procedures for voluntary acknowledgment of paternity, the consequences of acknowledgment and failure to acknowledge paternity pursuant to section 453.010, RSMo, and the address of the putative father registry. Such pamphlet or publication shall be made available for distribution at all offices of the department of health. The department shall also provide such pamphlets or publications to the department of social services, hospitals, libraries, medical clinics, schools, universities, and other providers of child related services upon request;
(3) Provide information to the public at large by way of general public service announcements, or other ways to deliver information to the public about the putative father registry and its services.
(L. 1988 H.B. 1272, et al. § 9, A.L. 1997 H.B. 343)
CROSS REFERENCE: Application of law to adoption petitions filed on or after August 28, 1997, RSMo 453.012
POLICY AND PRACTICE
putative father registries | open records and voluntary ragistries | state registries